I'm moving house soon, what do I have to do?

It's important to let us know you're moving so we can calculate your final bill. We will need your final meter reading - complete our moving away form or moving within area form and let us take care of the rest.

What should I do if I have a leak?

We have lots of advice about leaks, water pressure and blockages in our problem with your water section.

Your Site

Can you recommend a plumber?

Unfortunately, we can't recommend a plumber. We would recommend that you source a plumber that is a member of an ‘Approved Contractors‘ Scheme, which ensures they provide a quality service. One way you can ensure the plumber you use is a member of an ‘Approved Scheme’ is to use the WaterSafe website.

Watersafe is funded by the water industry and is free to use.

Do I have to fix a leak?

If the leak is within your property boundary, then it is your responsibility to fix it. You can find out more information on leaks within our Report a Problem section.

What if I spot a leak in the street?

If you spot a leak in your street, then call our emergency number 0800 917 5819 straight away.

How can I pay my bill?

You can pay your bill in a number of ways, either by direct debit, cheque, internet/telephone banking, PayPoint or by debit/credit card. Further details can be found within our Pay Your Bill section.

What if I am having difficulty paying?

Should you find yourself in financial difficulty, requiring assistance to cover sewerage bills, Albion recommends that you contact our customer helpline to notify us without delay. Temporary arrangements could possibly be made to spread payments. We will check that you are on the most appropriate plan for your circumstances and we will recommend other organisations that may be able to offer you debt counselling services. Please contact our Customer Services Team

What is the Direct Debit Guarantee?

This Guarantee is offered by all banks and building societies that accept instructions to pay Direct Debits, if there are any changes to the amount, date or frequency of your Direct Debit, Albion Water Limited will notify you 10 working days in advance of your account being debited or as otherwise agreed. If you request Albion Water Limited to collect a payment, confirmation of the amount and date will be given to you at the time of the request. If an error is made in the payment of your Direct Debit, by Albion Water Limited or your bank or building society, you are entitled to a full and immediate refund of the amount paid from your bank or building society. If you receive a refund you are not entitled to, you must pay it back when Albion Water Limited asks you to.

Can I cancel my Direct Debit?

Yes you can cancel a Direct Debit at any time by simply contacting your bank or building society. Written confirmation may be required. Please also notify us.

What are private drains and sewers?

A private drain is a pipe which carries foul and/or surface water form one property to a sewer. A private sewer is a pipe that collects and conveys foul and/or surface water from several properties and which has not been adopted by Albion Water. In an emergency, Albion Water is able to arrange clearance of blockages from both private drains/sewers and public sewers. If the blockage occurred in a private drain/sewer then those customers discharging to that drain or sewer will be financially liable for clearance costs.

What does the Standing Charge cover?

Our standing charge covers a fixed fee for surface water management; the costs that we incur for customer billing, account maintenance, payment collection and answering enquiries.

What is the rateable value (RV)?

The rateable value only applies to properties of a certain age. Each property was assessed by the local authority and given a rateable value under the 1973 Valuation Act; these were updated in March 1990. This value was based on a number of factors including the size of the property, its general condition and the availability of local services. It is not the same figure as your property's council tax band. If your property has a rateable value (and no meter), your bill from Albion will be calculated on this basis and you will see 'rateable value (RV)' identified on your bill. If you believe that we should be charging you by rateable value then please provide us with a copy of your most recent Portsmouth Water bill which will allow us to verify the figure and update our records.

I have a soakaway/surface water from my property runs directly into a river, can I claim back surface water drainage charges?

A fixed fee to pay for surface water management is included within your standing charge. If you are able to prove to Albion's satisfaction (e.g. a surveyor's report) that your property does not have any surface water discharge connected to the sewerage system then a lower standing charge will be payable. Please check your bill to identify whether surface drainage has been charged prior to claiming a rebate - properties without surface drainage managed by Albion Water should already benefit from a reduced standing charge. In the event that grounds for a rebate are proven, Albion will reduce the standing charge in line with the fixed surface water element for the current and future charging years.

Have I been charged VAT?

Sewerage charges to both domestic and commercial customers do not normally attract VAT. VAT is charged at standard rate on the maintenance, cleaning, unblocking etc of sewers and drains. Where we charge VAT we will indicate clearly on your bill which elements attract VAT and the amount of VAT payable. If VAT is included on your account and you feel you should not be charged, please contact us.

I receive benefits and I understand that I may be eligible for assistance with my sewerage charges, is this correct?

You may qualify for our WaterSure tariff or Special Assistance Fund, depending upon your circumstances and account type, please contact our Customer Service Team for more information.

What is a water meter?

 A meter is a device used to measure the flow of water to your property. Albion Water's preferred meter location is at our stopcock just outside the boundary of your property or, inside the boundary of your property (either in your garden or on the outside wall of your property).  Our meters are automated allowing them to be read remotely.

 For more information please see My Meter

I think that a mistake has been made on my bill, what should I do?

Please contact us using the our query my bill form or contact a member of our Customer Service Team.

What do you use my personal information for?

We may use information about you to:

i) Provide you with water and/or sewerage services and give you information about your water and/or sewerage provision and related products.
ii) Manage your account including collection and recovery of charges.

I have a complaint?

If you have a complaint, please contact a member of our Customer Service Team