How can I pay my bill?

You can pay your bill in a number of ways, either by direct debit, cheque, internet/telephone banking, PayPoint or by debit/credit card. Further details can be found within our Pay Your Bill section.

What if I am having difficulty paying?

Should you find yourself in financial difficulty, requiring assistance to cover sewerage bills, Albion Water recommends that you contact our Customer Services Team to notify us without delay. Temporary arrangements could possibly be made to spread payments. We will check that you are on the most appropriate plan for your circumstances and we will recommend other organisations that may be able to offer you debt counselling services.

Have I been charged VAT?

Sewerage charges to both domestic and commercial customers do not normally attract VAT. VAT is charged at standard rate on the maintenance, cleaning, unblocking etc of sewers and drains. Where we charge VAT we will indicate clearly on your bill which elements attract VAT and the amount of VAT payable. If VAT is included on your account and you feel you should not be charged, please contact us.

I think that a mistake has been made on my bill, what should I do?

Please contact us using the our query my bill form or contact a member of our Customer Services Team.

I receive benefits and I understand that I may be eligible for assistance with my water and/or sewerage charges, is this correct?

You may qualify for our WaterSure tariff or Special Assistance Fund, depending upon your circumstances and account type, please contact our Customer Services Team for more information.

What does the Standing Charge cover?

Our standing charge covers a fixed fee for surface water management; the costs that we incur for customer billing, account maintenance, payment collection and answering enquiries.

I have a soakway/surface water from my property runs directly into a river, can I claim back surface water drainage charges?

A fixed fee to pay for surface water management is included within your standing charge. If you are able to prove to Albion Water’s satisfaction (e.g. a surveyor’s report) that your property does not have any surface water discharge connected to the sewerage system then a lower standing charge will be payable. Please check your bill to identify whether surface drainage has been charged prior to claiming a rebate – properties without surface drainage managed by Albion Water should already benefit from a reduced standing charge. In the event that grounds for a rebate are proven,  Albion Water will reduce the standing charge in line with the fixed surface water element for the current and future charging years.

Your account

What do you use my personal information for?

For more information about how we use data, read our privacy policy.

Can I cancel my Direct Debit?

Yes you can cancel a Direct Debit at any time by simply contacting your bank or building society. Written confirmation may be required. Please also notify us.

I’m moving house soon, what do I have to do?

It’s important to let us know you’re moving so we can calculate your final bill. We will need your final meter reading – complete our moving away form or moving within area form and let us take care of the rest.

What should I do if I have a complaint?

If you have a complaint, please contact a member of our Customer Services Team. 

What is the rateable value (RV)?

The rateable value only applies to properties of a certain age. Each property was assessed by the local authority and given a rateable value under the 1973 Valuation Act; these were updated in March 1990. This value was based on a number of factors including the size of the property, its general condition and the availability of local services. It is not the same figure as your property’s council tax band. If your property has a rateable value (and no meter), your bill from Albion Water will be calculated on this basis and you will see ‘rateable value (RV)’ identified on your bill. If you believe that we should be charging you by rateable value then please provide us with a copy of your most recent bill which will allow us to verify the figure and update our records.

What is a water meter?

A meter is a device used to measure the flow of water to your property. Albion Water’s preferred meter location is at our stopcock just outside the boundary of your property or inside the boundary of your property (either in your garden or on the outside wall of your property). Our meters are automated allowing them to be read remotely.

For more information please see My Meter.

Your site

Leaks and blockages

What should I do if I have a leak or a burst pipe?


Just like any other water company in the UK, Albion Water is bound by law to prevent water wastage caused by leaks on our network and ensure that our systems are as efficient as possible.

Not only does targeting leaks help us to conserve water and minimise impact on the environment, it can also reduce our costs and keep your charges down.

If you spot a leak, call us straight away on our emergency number: 0800 917 5819.

Not all leaks are visible. You can spot a leak in your property through:

  • higher-than-usual meter readings
  • damp patches around your property
  • areas in your garden where plants continue to grow through a dry spell
  • loss of water pressure
  • the sound of running water in your property when none is being used.

If you suspect a leak on your property, simply make sure all taps are turned off and any other appliances or central-heating systems aren’t using any water. Watch your meter dials to see if they move or take a meter reading and check again after an hour. If the second reading is higher than the first, you may have a leak.

Repairing a leak

If the leak is anywhere within your property boundary, you are responsible for repairing it. However, in cases where the leak is on your service pipe, we may be able to help you.

We provide a leakage detection and repair service, see Albion Water’s Code of Practice for further information. You can also hire a plumber or a contractor to find the leak.

To find out more about how we can help you with your leak please contact our Customer Services Team (8.30am-5.30pm Mon-Fri). Please note that our detection and repair services are not 24-hour emergency services. In the event of an urgent leak, please contact a reputable plumber.

Burst pipes

Thousands of litres of water are wasted every year in the UK when frozen pipes burst. We’ve provided you with some helpful tips to ensure you’re not caught out this winter with expensive and stressful repairs.

When you move into a new home, make sure you know where your main stop valve is. In many new homes, it can be found under a sink in your kitchen or utility area. This is usually where the main supply of water enters your property.

If you have a burst pipe in your property, follow these simple steps:

  • shut off the water at the main stop valve
  • turn off your central heating to prevent damage (or even an explosion)
  • open all taps to drain water from the pipes
  • contact a plumber.

No water or low pressure?

If you find that you have no water or lower than normal water pressure from your tap, there can be a number of explanations. We’ve provided you with some easy steps to help you establish why you have little or no water in your property.

There are three main reasons why you have low pressure or no water:

  • work being carried out
  • problems within your property’s plumbing
  • a burst pipe or leak in your area.

We always try to give you advance warning of all planned work, but it is not always possible in the case of an emergency.

Your cold kitchen tap

Find the nearest tap where the main water supply enters your property, usually the cold tap in your kitchen or utility area. If this tap is running normally, the problem lies within your own plumbing and you will need to contact a plumber. If you have no water or low pressure at this point of entry, check your stop valve.

Your stop valve

Is your inside stop valve completely open? Your stop valve is at the point where water enters your property, usually located under the kitchen sink. If the valve is closed, turn it clockwise to ensure that it is fully open. If the valve is already open, then check with your neighbours.

Check with your neighbours

If your inside stop valve is open, if possible, find out from your immediate neighbours if they have the same problem. This will help to determine whether the problem is on our network or your pipework. If your neighbours do have the same problem, then please contact us on our emergency number 0800 917 5819.

Blocked drain?

You can call our emergency number 0800 917 5819 if you have discovered a blockage or your property has been flooded by our public sewer and a member of our team will be there to help you.

Blockages inside your home can stop your waste water draining away properly, leaving smells and sometimes coming back into your sink or bathroom.

What causes blockages?

Your sewer is designed to take waste water, human waste and toilet tissue from your property.

Any other household product should be disposed of through either your household bin or recycling programme.

Many of the UK’s household blockages are caused by:

  • cooking fat and oil
  • wet wipes and sanitary items

Some helpful hints to prevent blockages:

  • ensure that only wastewater, toilet tissue and human waste goes down your drains and into the sewer
  • securely wrap up sanitary products, nappies, wet wipes and condoms and put them in the bin
  • once cooled, cooking, fat, oil and grease can be mixed with seeds and nuts to make a feeder for birds
  • chemicals, solvents, engine oil and paint should be taken to your local refuse site
  • medicines, tablets, syringes and needles should be taken to your pharmacist, local hospital or health authority for safe disposal.

Flooded with sewage?

If you have been flooded by our public sewer, outside your boundary, please call our 24-hour emergency number on 0800 917 5819 and a member of our team will assist you.

For all non-emergency questions relating to our public sewer, please contact our Customer Services Team.

Can you recommend a plumber?

Unfortunately, we can’t recommend a plumber. We would recommend that you source a plumber that is a member of an ‘Approved Contractors Scheme’, which ensures they provide a quality service. One way you can ensure the plumber you use is a member of an ‘Approved Scheme’ is to use the Watersafe website.

Watersafe is funded by the water industry and is free to use.

What are private drains and sewers?

A private drain is a pipe which carries foul and/or surface water from one property to a sewer. A private sewer is a pipe that collects and conveys foul and/or surface water from several properties and which has not been adopted by Albion Water. In an emergency, Albion Water is able to arrange clearance of blockages from both private drains/sewers and public sewers. If the blockage occurred in a private drain/sewer then those customers discharging to that drain or sewer will be financially liable for clearance costs.

Important Information for customers who receive their water supply from another company

Knowle Village

If you are a customer in Knowle Village, Portsmouth Water is responsible for the water supply to your property. You can contact them with any queries in the following ways:

Telephone: 023 9249 9888

Website: www.portsmouthwater.co.uk

Email: Head.office@portsmouthwater.co.uk

Grebe Square, Upper Rissington

If you are a customer of Grebe Square, Thames Water is responsible for the water supply to your property. You can contact them with any queries in the following ways:

Telephone: 0800 316 9800

Website: www.thameswater.co.uk

Castle Hill, Ebbsfleet

If you are a customer in Castle Hill, Thames Water (phase one plots 1-150) and Independent Water Networks Limited (IWNL) (all other phases plots 151 and above) are responsible for the water supply to your property. You can contact them with any queries in the following ways:

Thames Water

Telephone: 0800 316 9800

Website: www.thameswater.co.uk


Telephone: 02920 028711

Website: www.iwnl.co.uk