What should I do if I have a leak or a burst pipe?


Just like any other water company in the UK, Albion Water is bound by law to prevent water wastage caused by leaks on our network and ensure that our systems are as efficient as possible.

Not only does targeting leaks help us to conserve water and minimise impact on the environment, it can also reduce our costs and keep your charges down.

If you spot a leak, call us straight away on our emergency number: 0800 917 5819.

Not all leaks are visible. You can spot a leak in your property through:

  • higher-than-usual meter readings
  • damp patches around your property
  • areas in your garden where plants continue to grow through a dry spell
  • loss of water pressure
  • the sound of running water in your property when none is being used.

If you suspect a leak on your property, simply make sure all taps are turned off and any other appliances or central-heating systems aren’t using any water. Watch your meter dials to see if they move or take a meter reading and check again after an hour. If the second reading is higher than the first, you may have a leak.

Repairing a leak

If the leak is anywhere within your property boundary, you are responsible for repairing it. However, in cases where the leak is on your service pipe, we may be able to help you.

We provide a leakage detection and repair service, see Albion Water’s Code of Practice for further information. You can also hire a plumber or a contractor to find the leak.  You can find a qualified plumber at watersafe.org.uk.

To find out more about how we can help you with your leak please contact our Customer Services Team (8.30am-5.30pm Mon-Fri). Please note that our detection and repair services are not 24-hour emergency services. In the event of an urgent leak, please contact a reputable plumber.

Burst pipes

Thousands of litres of water are wasted every year in the UK when frozen pipes burst. We’ve provided you with some helpful tips to ensure you’re not caught out this winter with expensive and stressful repairs.

When you move into a new home, make sure you know where your main stop valve is. In many new homes, it can be found under a sink in your kitchen or utility area. This is usually where the main supply of water enters your property.

If you have a burst pipe in your property, follow these simple steps:

  • shut off the water at the main stop valve
  • turn off your central heating to prevent damage (or even an explosion)
  • open all taps to drain water from the pipes
  • contact a plumber.

No water or low pressure?

If you find that you have no water or lower than normal water pressure from your tap, there can be a number of explanations. We’ve provided you with some easy steps to help you establish why you have little or no water in your property.

There are three main reasons why you have low pressure or no water:

  • work being carried out
  • problems within your property’s plumbing
  • a burst pipe or leak in your area.

We always try to give you advance warning of all planned work, but it is not always possible in the case of an emergency.

Your cold kitchen tap

Find the nearest tap where the main water supply enters your property, usually the cold tap in your kitchen or utility area. If this tap is running normally, the problem lies within your own plumbing and you will need to contact a plumber. If you have no water or low pressure at this point of entry, check your stop valve.

Your stop valve

Is your inside stop valve completely open? Your stop valve is at the point where water enters your property, usually located under the kitchen sink. If the valve is closed, turn it clockwise to ensure that it is fully open. If the valve is already open, then check with your neighbours.

Check with your neighbours

If your inside stop valve is open, if possible, find out from your immediate neighbours if they have the same problem. This will help to determine whether the problem is on our network or your pipework. If your neighbours do have the same problem, then please contact us on our emergency number 0800 917 5819.